HTML Widget
Membership
Calendar
Rapid Raid
Recent Images
Facebook

RSS Feed
Error 102 connecting to the RSS feed.

This is most likely a temporary problem with the RSS feed. If it persists check the feed.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanovar
Culian- First Marshal Scribe
Officer
The Deathless

re: Turbine LOTRO Dat File Defragmentation Tool - Now Available!

Here is a command line tool to address the internal dat file fragmentation (vs. external fragmentation which regular disk defragmenters address).

What this will do for you?

- Speed up game loads
- Speed up teleports
- Reduce hitching (not all hitching.... just load related hitches)

Granted if you were on an SSD or flash drive, the improvement will not be nearly as big as compared to the majority of folk still on mechanical disks.

Link to the KB article NOTE: (This file will be corrupt if you use Internet Explorer to download it, use either Firefox, Safari or any other browser and it will not be corrupted)

What is the datdefrag tool?

The utility “datdefrag.exe” is a tool that can aid in decreasing load times of files for LOTRO. It does so by defragmenting the largest of the game files (the ones ending in .dat) in the installation folder and defragging the “internal” files contained within these dat files.

The "datdefrag.exe" tool has been shown to reduce load times when:

•Entering the game
•During “zone” transitions
•Various other functions
Due to patching, the contents of these large files often get fragmented within the containing “.dat” file itself. This tool addresses this issue because, unlike Windows Defrag, it also defrags the files internal structure, better enabling the game to load the contents of these files.

More information located at LOTRO Forums on Dat File Defragmentation Tool.

Bragae 115 Hobbit Warden R10, Culian 115 Man Burglar R7, Dakeras 115 Man Hunter R8, Conovar 115 Captain, Bailen 115 Dwarf Champion, Lanovar 115 Elf Guardian, Pendaeric 115 Man Loremaster / Creeps on Arkenstone Vae Victis - KurtBurton War-Leader R11, Bragha Warg R10, Braghae BA R10
ForrisTheFearless

re: Turbine LOTRO Dat File Defragmentation Tool - Now Available!

I have used this new tool and have to say that it worked well for my system. I was originally finding that my load times were increasing off the initial log in and as well when i entered new zones. After the defrag I noticed that my load times were close to half of what they were before. I would recommend this utility to anyone.

Jump to: