HTML Widget
Membership
Calendar
Rapid Raid
Recent Images
Facebook

RSS Feed
Error 102 connecting to the RSS feed.

This is most likely a temporary problem with the RSS feed. If it persists check the feed.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brugo
Non-Member
High-captain

re: THE GREAT RACE: MIDDLE EARTH

Hello everybody!

I hope we are all having fun as we approach Sons of Durins two year anniversary. In celebration of this event the officers have decided to host an event for our membership. There will be a lot at stake including a 5 gold grand prize, finely crafted jewelry, and a nice cloak.

When?

Saturday, April 18 at 1800 (600pm) eastern.

Where?

SoD Kin house is the starting line. Meet there for your first clue!

How does it work?

Once you recieve your first riddle you must go to the appropriate location and bring the appropriate item the riddle calls for. An officer will be waiting there for you with the next clue to the next location! You may use any means of travel at your disposal to get to the locations including fast travel so stock up on your rations.

All of the locations require you to bring an inexpensive item that may be bought from an NPC. (1 silver or less mostly). We spend more riding the fast horses all day long ;)

The first member to finish the race will recieve the grand prize of 5 Gold!! the runner up will recieve rare crafted jewelry and the third place finisher will recieve a finely crafted cloak.

I know that you will all have a good time and I am certain no body would consider cheating, however, there are securities in place to prevent it and the officers will be monitoring the event to keep any cheaters out of the competition. If you are caught cheating you will forfeit your chance at the prize and will not be helping your reputation any so please lets keep it fun and by the rules.

What are the rules?

Any form of travel is appropriate.

You must go to each of the locations in turn and we will be keeping track.

Do not deter any of the other members from progressing through the race; no spamming text or any other means of detering people.

Once a clue is said to you via private tell you may not pass that clue on to any other players or put it up in kinchat (besides it would be a detriment to yourself to do so), keep the clue to yourself.

Do not be negative to any of the other players, by putting them down or getting in an arguement.

Do not argue with the officers hosting the event or argue about the outcomes, like who arrives at a location first or deserves to win. It will be decided based on the perception of the officer at that location and remember lag changes each of our perceptions of who is in front of who slightly.

And finally HAVE FUN!!

How can you prepare?

The clues are based on the Lord of the rings books however you will be able to figure them out if you have seen the movies so it may be a good idea to rent The Hobbit and the Fellowship of the Ring and watch them again! Or if you are one of those crazy people who still reads books go for it.

If you have any other questions go ahead and reply to this post or ask me when I'm online. I hope we have a lot of fun and keep Sons of Durin going another two years!!

Yours,

Brugo
magpye
Kinsman
Captain

re: THE GREAT RACE: MIDDLE EARTH

I don't actually know if I will be there, so this isn't necessarily a complaint, but isn't EVERY sort of travel being allowed sort of detrimental to some?

I mean, it does depend on where you go, but hunters and wardens have all their ports, there might be one person who is human (racial port), with his home in the shire, kinship house at thorin's, and sets his map to Duillond meaning instant travel to all the low level areas.

Not to mention lower levels can now not even compete if, say, they don't have a horse yet.

Like I said, I probably won't be able to make it, but that seems my observation.

It depends on where all these riddles are, but you are automatically excluding level 34 and lower characters from a shot at winning (which might be fine, as 2nd and 3rd place are higher level items), and giving a big advantage to hunters and wardens.

never-the-less, good luck to everyone.

Cheers,
~Etheleam

Minrva - Warden - Explorer
Brugo
Non-Member
High-captain

re: Quick Travel

I agree that some players who have a higher level and have better fast travel capabilities will have a slight advantage. Unfortunately, there is no way to ensure people will not use fast travel so I could not think of a way to exclude it other than what I did which was make the race based on riddles and knowledge from Tolkien lore. Some of those faster people who are fast of foot may not get the lore...I hope that gives some lower levels a fighting chance. I attempted to spread out the locations so that many of you will have a fighting chance. I think it certainly is worth the effort. I definately shared your concern about that issue but for now, I see no way around it.

Brugo
Brugo
Non-Member
High-captain

re: Results!

Congrats to Socket who won the 5 gold, Celirian who won two dawn rose pieces of jewelry, and Engorador who won a herald's cloak. Everyone who participated walked away with 150 sil and a beryl shard! (and perhaps a headache after hitting the kin tavern keg).

The event was a success...many kin members appreciated it and had fun. For those of you who were curious here were the riddles....I will post a link to this chain next week with the answers.

Thanks for making Sons of Durin the best kin on the server!

Brugo

Location 1:
Clue: Many a mushroom was dropped in fear, by young hobbits who strayed too near. Show three wolves what may happen, to a dog that won’t stop yappin’. Bring them a light hide from one of their kin.

Location2:
Clue: “Legolas Greenleaf long under tree, in joy thou hast lived. Beware of the sea! If thou hearest the cry of the gull on the shore, thy heart shall then rest in the forest no more.” Bring a glass of wine to the vineyard where Legolas may have drank his last ere this prophecy was fulfilled.

Location 3:
Clue: With fertile food and drink you must satisfy he who once was the object of these lines: “What be you a-thinking of? You should not be waking. Eat earth! Dig deep! Drink Water! Go to sleep! Bombadil is talking!”

Location 4:
Clue: On four hobbits and a man, midges did feast, as they journeyed here onward east. Amon Sul afar but in sight, among a circle of stones; bring a healing potion ere they scratch the skin off their bones.

Location 5:
Clue: Eilenach and Amon Din are two of my brethren. We slumber evermore, but are restless and ever ready, springing to fiery life in times of Man’s worst strife. If you see me atop the hill, in Esteldin all bodes ill. Bring me kindling material so I may be ready when the time is nigh.

Here was a riddle I was considering but thought that the location may be too difficult for lower level members...

Location 5:
Clue: Boiled in a stew or mashed into jelly, 13 adventurers won’t fill a troll’s belly. Go with haste for you must bring, a dagger to the unearthing of Orcrist and Glamdring.

Again it was a lot of fun...later all...

Brugo
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sons of Durin Forum Index -> News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: